Thanks for attending (and volunteering!) - you are what made the 2018 NMRA Lone Star Region Convention a successful five days of fun, fellowship, and learning. At the Wingate by Wyndham & Williamson Conference Center in Round Rock, Texas, we all experienced:
- More than 60 clinics and presentations covering topics for beginners to advanced model railroaders presented by experts who've been there and done that - including special guest clinicians and special "make and take" clinics (hope everyone is installing their new electronics and backdrops)!
- Layout tours and operating sessions featuring more than 20 model railroads of all shapes and sizes in N, HO, O, and G scales
- Prototype tours including the Austin Steam Train Yard and the Capital Metro MetroRail Dispatching Center and Maintenance Facility
- A huge silent auction - plenty of folks sold and bought those must-have items they'd been looking for!
- A contest room that'll blew our socks off (especially the logging ship and needlepoint!)
- Over $6500 worth of raffle and door prizes
- Many great non-rail activities including a visit to the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum!
the LSR facebook page. For those of you who couldn't make it this year, we hope you make plans now to attend the 2019 NMRA LSR Convention which will be held in Frisco, Texas (near Dallas) June 27-29, 2019.
Special thanks goes out to our special guests, including keynote speaker (and guest clinician) Trevor Marshall, long-time model railroader, host of the Model Railway Show and TrainMasters.TV, and frequent contributor to Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroader. Trevor shared some great insights about the future of our hobby and how the younger generations might approach it.
We'd also like to thank guest clinician and noted model railroader Lance Mindheim! Lance is an excellent modeler with many published books and articles (and an excellent blog) to his credit, and he runs a custom layout design and building business from his home in Maryland. His clinics were among the most-attended and were fantastic.
And finally, much thanks to NMRA President Charlie Getz. Our was the final regional convention Charlie visited as President, and we were happy to have him. Best of luck to him as a "private" model railroader!
Coming soon, we will also post a full list of contest winners (and their entries). They will also be posted in an upcoming Marker Lamp.
Due to popular demand, we will take orders for another run of convention shirts during June 2018. They will be $32 each (any size/style). If you're interested, please contact Tom Weaver.